- Roşia Montană Project – more than just a simple business.
- Roşia Montană Project represents a direct investment of more than two billion dollars in the Romanian economy. In the community where it takes place, the project will have a significant economic impact, as it will create direct and indirect jobs, will open new business opportunities and make major contributions to the local and central budgets.
- The project will bring an estimated $ 5.3 billion into the Romanian economy: 2.3 billion - the direct benefit of the Romanian state.
- Plan addition to these direct financial benefits, the Romanian State benefits from the project’s economic direct and indirect impact. The mining project will create over 2,300 direct jobs during the mine construction phase, 880 direct jobs during mining operations and 3,600 jobs in total during operation.
- The economic analysis of the mining project estimates total direct benefits of approximately 5.3 billion dollars for the Romanian economy and this increases to 24 billion dollars when all indirect benefits are included.
- Out of this 5.3 billion amount,
- 2.3 billion USD will go directly to the State budget.
- The remaining 3.0 billion USD will be spent in Romania for human resources, construction, electricity, materials, transportation, reagents, spare parts and others.
- The investment necessary to develop the mining project in Roşia Montană is around 2.7 billion dollars including capital spent to date (550 million, construction activities 1.4 billion, sustaining capital 570 million and closure activities 150 million).
- These economic benefits are estimated taking into account an average price of 1,200 dollars / ounce for gold and 20 dollars / ounce for silver.
The economic impact of the gold mining project proposed by Roşia Montană Gold Corporation (RMGC) was the key topic of an international conference organized in July 2010 in Bucharest, with the support of the Romanian National Council of Small and Medium Enterprises (CNIPMM). The international experts present in the event underlined the opportunity of this investment for Romania and for the mining sector as a whole. At this time a gold price of 900 USD/ounce, a state equity interest in RMGC of 19.31% and a royalty of 4% was assumed.
Signed by: Dr. Mike Armitage - SRK Consulting. This report presents the opinions of SRK experts with regard to the role and importance of the Rosia Montana Project within the context of the Romanian economy. The report was published on October 1st, 2012.