Monitoring the environment from Roșia Montană
Roşia Montană Gold Corporation will establish a detailed social and environmental monitoring programme.
Monitoring within the Roşia Montană Project will cover:
- Physical stability in the operational areas, such as stability of the tailings management facility, processing plant, stockpiles etc.;
- Chemical stability of air and surface water;
- Chemical stability of underground water;
- Chemical stability of solid environments;
- Aquatic and terrestrial biological monitoring;
- Contacts with regulatory agencies;
- Problems of the external stakeholders (communities around the project area or more remote areas);
- Internal stakeholders – occupational health and safety.
More specifically, environmental monitoring is aimed at producing a set of reliable data which should:
- Be used so as to ensure that the mining operations are carried out in compliance with the requirements;
- Demonstrate the efficiency of the mitigation measures;
- Help identify or properly predict remaining impacts;
- Help make comparisons between the environmental changes and the reference environmental condition;
- Help identify the unacceptable environmental impacts, thus allowing for the adoption of additional mitigation measures and/or the initiation of corrective and preventive actions in due time;
- Specify performance characteristics, which are to be taken into consideration in the closure phase;
- Demonstrate permanent compliance with the applicable laws, policies and guidelines, as well as the specific requirements of the approvals/licenses;
- Ensure accountability through a system of reporting to the company’s management, with summaries of the reports sent to regulatory agencies;
- Support the investigation of environmental incidents and the taking of appropriate corrective and preventive actions;
- Help formulate proper answers to the questions/observations or requests for information from the population, regulatory agencies or other external stakeholders.